According to Hinstock gravestones the Lockley’s lived for many generations in LockleyWood. Although the exact location where they lived in Lockleywood is not recorded we do know that Thomas Lockley’s farmhouse was located at the end of the lane called Lockley Wood, in the area known as Goldstone. Thomas Lockley was farmer here until the Shropshire Union canal was built. Then when a wharf and bridge were build in about 1835 the farmhouse became ideally situated to start a Beerhouse.1 This enterprise was undoubtedly a success (Thomas is registered as being a publican living at this address in the 1841 census) and nowadays the original building, although modernized, is a very attractive country pub serving very good food. Unfortunately he died and was buried 9 years later in Cheswardine.
Click to load map
- Enacted in 1830, the Beerhouse Act enabled any rate-payer to brew and sell beer on payment of a licence costing two guineas. The intention was to increase competition between brewers; lowering prices and encouraging people to drink beer instead of strong spirits.