Category: John Stevenson close family

Aunts, uncles, half sisters and brothers etc.

2 Upper Surrey street – the Browns’ 1901

In 1901 this address was recorded as being the family home of John & Mary Brown. John Brown (born in Denmark) was then recorded as being mariner; in later records he is master mariner. He was married to Mary Fowler (John Stevenson’s half-sister). Mary’s younger sister Martha was sharing the same accomadation. Upper Surrey street…

Read MoreComments Off

Fearnside street – Brown family home

John Brown and his family eventually moved to Fearnside street. Aunty Mary mentions this street in her memoires. Only the church St. Dunstables (corner of Fearnside street & Earle road see photo) remains. All the other buildings have been demolished and redeveloped.

Read MoreComments Off

13 Clarence street 1871) – Maria & Mark Grant

Maria & Mark Grant moved to Clarence street shortly after getting married in 1869 and were registered by the 1871 census as sharing house # 13 Clarence street with 12 other persons. Mark was still working as a bottler but Maria has no profession. Mark is registered as being born in Surrey London but apparently…

Read MoreComments Off

47 Woodside street (1869) – Mark Grant.

When Mark Grant got married to Maria Wycherley, he was living at 47 Woodside street. Note the name of his father: it’s Hugh Grant, a clothier by profession. Mark’s profession was bottler. Like most locations in the area although the street still exists all the old houses have been demolished.

Read MoreComments Off

27 Highgate street (1869) – Maria Wycherley

When Maria Wycherley & Mark Grant got married on the 1st of march 1869 she was living at 27 Highgate street. Although the street still exists, there is nothing left of the old housing even st Mary’s church was destroyed during WW2.

Read MoreComments Off

25 Castle Street (1861) – Maria Wycherley

According to the 1861 census, Maria Wycherley (noted as Witcherley by enumerator) lived and worked here as a housemaid. The location was that of a confectioner and is one of the few buildings to have survived the redevelopment ravage of the 20th century. A side lane close by is still called Sweeting street, next door…

Read MoreComments Off